Sunday, October 10, 2010

Church and Impressions about Russia

Went to church this morning and enjoyed the music. Even if I did not understand the words I know that they were worshiping God. The team that went to Central Asia gave a report about their trip. Anton, the pastor, also gave a short devotion reminding us that Jesus allowed the people to crucify Him.




Things that are different from the last times I've been to Russia:
-Crosswalk really do mean that the cars will stop for you instead of you having to find a time that is clear.
-cars, the numbers have increased
-Shopping is similar to ours. There are lockers to place your items in before you go into the store. Then you take a cart or basket and pick out the items you want and go to the checkout and pay.
-There are small stores that will show you the item and then you decide if you want it or not. Also there are stores, like the candy store, where you tell them which candy you want and how much and then they will get it, weigh it and then tell you the price.
-The building may be old and appear not to be kept up on the outside but inside the people really do care about there apartment's. Around the building people are are paid to clean the leafs from the street. The garbage goes to a public garbage spot
-there still is the public transportation; trolley, buses and taxis; a person collects the money to ride, On the first time we, Jim and I, came to Russia the fair was passed to the front and the change came back to you. the cost of a ride to anywhere you want to go is 10 rubles, 33 cents in American money
-there is still a lot of walking, apartment buildings that have more than 5 floor are required to have an elevator, otherwise you walk the stairs, even if there is an elevator it might not be working but it will be there
-people are friendly inside, however outside there will not be a lot of eye contact and smiling at each other
-I need to watch were I walk because the sidewalk is not alway level and you need to know where you are stepping
-there are many paths made by the people because it is shorter
-Mushrooms grow wild in the forest and people go mushroom gathering
-ESPN America shows football(college), hockey, basketball, and baseball
I am sure there are other things but for now that is all I can think of

Kerry and I are going to Anton and Inna's for supper. We are taking the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment